2008年9月21日 星期日

As if life isn't hard enough already aka Weekend trip in SD

Well, I've always liked SD, ever since the minute i graduted from there. So this weekend, since there's no one around, i decided to pay my ex roommie a visit. and the trip was a journey both physically and emotionally. and here's why:

The goods:

- Brunch at The Eggery: It's another cute place in SD where you can enjoy a fine breakfast and just kick it with your friends. Of course, i can't say enough how much i love breakfast places, this is definitely a new favorite, right after The Cottage in La Jolla, Broken Yolk in PB, and Kono's in PB. I shared an order with my friend, so we had some SUPER yummy cashew blueberry pancakes, and some frittatas (apparently the european open face omelettes) with eggy potatoes on the side and some strawberry smoothies. yum.

- scootering and swimming in Pacific Beach: a nice sunny day, and much less crowded than LA beaches. The water was cold, and we didn't feel like trying anything sporty at all. took an easy afternoon.

- Beer Tasting at Carl Strauss Brewing Co. in La Jolla: kinda fun, you get 6 double shots of different beers to see which you like the best, plus one oktoberfest special. in the end, i only finished 3 of them. The dark beers just ain't my thing. so i stopped after i finished all the light/blonde beers. was definitely glad that i had the garlic parmasian fries to wash it down. ;)

- Hanging with my roommie's roomies/friends: Very nice people, very interesting conversation, but i will get into that later.

- Dinner at Bing Crosby's in Fashion Valley

The Bad:

- Dinner at Bing Crosby's: I know, i listed it twice. I really want to say that i enjoyed the dinner, but it turned out to be a experience i wasn't too happy with. we heard it was new in town, and was supposed to be a nice restaurant/piano lounge where they play good jazz. So we went, and it turned out to be somewhat pricier than we had originally expected. But we had a reservation, and we had already sit down. at this point everyone was sort of unsure of what to do. I hadn't eaten at all, so i was going to just order the cheapest option--pasta. but most people came after having already eaten. and then no body wanted to order anything. and then we were just awkward to the waiter too because he didn't know what exactly was going on with our table either. then someone proposed ordering some wine to share, and i agreed. the rest of the people got desserts and whatnot. so when the bill came, i proposed to put it on my card and they could pay me back. but then NOBODY DID! only my roommie gave me 10 bucks back. i was already pretty irritated, but since iw as a guest in town, and they did drive me aroudn the whole day, i couldnt' really say anything. But REALLY PEOPLE, this is actually a really rude thing to do, both to the server and to me. because "I' picked up the tab, and i had to meet the server's expectation so i had to still tip him 20%. so essentially "I" paid for the wine, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts and the tip. It made me feel like it was just a mistake for us to go last night. I couldn't even enjoy the music at all because i was just feeling mortified/uncomfortable/irritated throughout. Lesson learned: date restaurants are reserved for dates ONLY and girlfriends who you know are willing to split the tab with.

onto more reflections from the trip......

沒有留言: