2009年5月9日 星期六

Post 5K


YES! I made it to the finish line. This morning i woke up bright and early for the Revlon 5K which i registered for several months ago. the anticipation has been so much that last night i almost couldn't sleep (had to wake up at 6am to get ready to leave). But i finally did it! my first long-distance race every. i have to say that the process of getting there isn't easy. I first had to get over the mental block that I am pretty unfit (although normal weight, but unfit). Prior to this committment i almost never ran more than half an hour. and before i started training 5 weeks ago sat my ass on the couch every night watching tv or studying instead of getting in shape. However this morning it was a pain the butt to try to get to the course at USC. The traffic was horrible, and no one was exiting the free way. After i finally got off a different exit i still was stuck in lines trying to find parking and getting into a lot. By then i thought i was going to miss the start by being stuck in traffic. But luckily, we arrived at 816ish am. And we were able to pick up the t shirt and goody bag, put on the bib, and join the race.

I made it in 46 min which is kind of embarrassing, considering that's how fast people walk. I went online today (good thing not yesterday, or my spirit would be killed a lot) and found out that most people can do within half an hour or even under 20 min (is that even physically possible?). So i'm going to keep quiet about my time until i can improve. :) but not to make excuse or anything, i was stuck in people traffic for at least 10 min before i could actually run. They mixed all the walkers and runners together and people with their strollers. So the beginning i was literally stuck in people and not running because we were moving forward as a "chunck" of people. And i had to snake my way through before i can hit clearn air. That was just purely bad organization. no one knew what was going on.

When i finished at the Coliseum, i felt definitely very triumphant. I had committed myself to this race also for the reason that i had been bothered by lots of issues that shouldn't matter at all. I was sick of feeling unmotivated, down, pessimistic, and bitter. I wanted to challenge myself and make other purposes out of my life. It's so easy to get caught in the politics at school/work, the stress from school/work, the uncertainty surrounding my immediate future. But THAT ALL shouldnt' matter. I was ignoring my health in the mean time, slowly losing my sanity and became obsessive and a boring person. i wanted to find that lively spirit back (just as how i feel everytime i travel in europe/other parts of the world, i think, screw everything back home i'm staying here and start a new life). So i do feel somewhat liberated now. I'm going to continue this habit of working out at least 3 days a week and feel the best i can.

one small thing: I realized my shoe broke after the race. how funny is that:

沒有留言: