2009年3月3日 星期二

Film Review...



So after 3 weeks of the movie's release i finally get to see it, probably the last person on earth..(ok, and the two friends i go with that makes the 3 of us). I've been wanting to see the movie since i read the book. The book itself is a easy read, almost like a column from Cosmopolitan, in the Q&A format. Bascially, women ask this guy Greg about their guy problems and they hear the honest truth from him, in most cases, HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU. you'd think it's so obvious right? well, not to women in love (or blinded by love). guys are just SO LUCKY.

So anyway, overall it was poignant and entertaining, and i certainly enjoyed the all-star cast. But i'm hating the characters too as i watched it: the psycho girl, the "other woman", the pushover....I wonder if we all fit into these stereotypes in one way or another. I certainly hope i dont. It was almost painful watching some of the things that they do on screen, which i would never, and had never committed. I guess it's good and bad: if you put yourself out there and be willing to meet guys in all shapes and sizes and heartbreakers and all, you are going to have a fun, lively dating life. Whereas i know exactly what to do to preserve my dignity, well, i spend a lot of time wondering why there's no dates. I dont really call guys who dont' seem to be interested me, i dont count "texting" as "calling", i dont keep in touch with guys who are superficial and just like to have women around, i dont like jerks who act they are too cool for you, and i dont wait around next to my phone cuz i simply dont have time for that, and if someone cheats, i dont think i can even try to have a relationship with him again. Him sleeping with another woman, that's just gross and disrespectful.

But they have to give the moving an ending. So despite the fact they say it over and over again in the movie that "think of yourself as the RULE, not the EXCEPTION", they made exceptions for the characters. So the playboy falls in love with you, your committment phobic bf proposes to you..etc. Kinda ruins it for me, just like Sex and The City. The ultimate happiness of a woman, still depends on the fact whether she has someone significant in her life. Like Carrie Bradshaw, your badboy bf will eventually come around.

It's hard to lie to your gf when you seee the obvious truth that she's dating a jackass, or that the guy she's seeing is simply not into her, because we all tend to cheer each other up. We dont like hearing harsh words so we dont tell the truth to people we care about, in fear of breaking their hearts. But maybe sometimes we NEED to hear the truth. We need to see it from 3rd party's perspective that, maybe we are just not seeing the whole picture. I can't swear that i'm going to tell nothing but truth now to my gf, but I am certainly goin to try to. I do it the most with my sister, which is why she thinks i'm blunt like a guy and very bitter sometimes.

People tend to say/think that i'm kind of self-deprecating or sarcastic about things, and I do admit that there are elements of me that are rather Seinfeld-ish. but I dont think it's a low self-esteem issue. It's my honest to God opinion about myself. And I'm surprised that people think so negatively about this characteristics. Especially in the US, no one wants to hear that you're doing shitty, we all have to gloat about something about ourselves (whether it's job, love life, salary, appearance, past glories...etc.) But i'm okay with the idea that i may have a hard time getting the job i like because i'm hitting a lot of walls, and i'm ok with saying that i may continue to be single for a long time to come. It doesn't necessarily mean that i enjoy these things, but i'm not dellusional to say that they dont exist. This is where my stress is coming from, and this is why i can be insecure when i blog because i do think about them, constantly.

And this is the part of growing up i dont like.

沒有留言: