2008年8月6日 星期三

a much delayed post...on Speed Dating



I am SO owing myself a bunch of posts which i should have written long ago. This is one of them, on my speed dating adventure which occurred last tuesday. YES, i went speed dating, very sad. But actually it wasn't as bad as i had thought. I sort of decided on a whim because I kept getting these newsletters, and I thought what the heck, it's summer, and i've never tried this before. From talking to my girlfriends they were interested too so we all signed up...hence the story:

After I left work at 6pm my friends and I met at the Tangier Lounge. The traffice actuallly got so bad that I was in a terrible mood when I finally got there because i was 15 minutes late to the event. When we were finally greeted by the coordinater he assigned us numbers and had us sat at a table so the guys can rotate and come around. So basically, we all had a chance to talk to all the guys there.

And my thought on the whole event? probably not the best place to meet single, interesting guys. They weren't as weird as i thought they would be, but they werent' the atheletic, good looking, ambitious, eloquent guys one hopes to find either. There were a couple who were MORE interesting than others, like the chef who works for Cheesecake Factory, the elementary school teacher, the jewelry designer..etc. These were actually people who i wouldn't mind hanging out with. But there were also the ones who are just plain weird who meditate all the time, who is a big clubber, who is awefully quiet, who is very creepy...so don't get your hopes up. :P

And the result? Well, i didn't circle yes for anybody. The way it works is that you can say yes/no to everyone you meet. if you and him both say yes to each other a match is made, and you will receive each other's contact via e-mail. and if one of you says no, then it's not working out. So i said no to everyone not because i thought everyone was lame. I just couldn't see myself actually 'dating' any of them. there's a difference between wanting to be friends, and wanting to be hold hands/kiss someone. most of the guys here look like they are 30 something maybe close to 40, there's even one who admitted that he is going through a divorce and has two kids (what the hell was he doing there??). And i really can't say that i dream of hooking up with someone who's the average age of me and my dad's. So i'm only using this experience to say that i've "tried this and done that".

Was it fun? yes and no. you get to talk to everyone for about 5 minuites before they have to move on. but not enough impression to make you want to go out with them exclusively again. Would I do it again? Let's hope not. I'm still hoping that in the coming years i'll meet someone when i pick up one glove of a pair at a department store (see movie Serendipity). ;D

沒有留言: